Portuguese seafood stew with mussels, prawns, scallops and chorizo is prepared in a few minutes! Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!
Portuguese seafood stew
This Portuguese seafood stew is simple and delicious. It’s loaded with fresh seafood and flavored with garlic, onion, white wine, bay leaf, and parsley. You can use pretty much any seafood you prefer, such as clams, lobsters, crabs, or even fish. For some other seafood stew recipes you might like, try these coconut broth clams with lemongrass and Jamaican coconut prawn stew.
How to make seafood stew
This Portuguese seafood stew is ready for dinner in just a few steps.
- Sauté the garlic and onion until tender.
- Add the chorizo, tomatoes, wine, bay leaf, ¼ cup parsley and simmer for five minutes.
- Add the mussels, cover the saucepan and cook for about five minutes until the mussels open.
- Stir in the prawns and scallops and cook for a few minutes.
What do you eat seafood stew for?
Serve this stew with some good crusty bread to soak up the juice. To round off the meal, prepare a salad.
Variations & Tips:
- Swap seafood for crab, lobster, or a white fish like cod or halibut, or just double all of them and leave out another type.
- If you can’t find any clams, use clams or double the shrimp.
- Throw away any clams that are still closed after cooking.
- If you’re not eating pork, replace the chorizo with chicken, turkey, or soy chorizo.
- Do you want more flavor? Swap the water for clam juice or add anchovies.
- When cooking with wine, be sure to use good wine that you would actually drink. If you don’t want to cook with wine, you can replace it with clam juice.
- Swap the parsley for coriander.
More seafood recipes you’ll love:
Portuguese seafood stew
Preparation time: 5 Minutes
Cooking time: 20th Minutes
Total time: 25th Minutes
Portuguese seafood stew with mussels, prawns, scallops and chorizo is prepared in a few minutes!
- 3rd Dozen small neck clams, scrubbed and cleaned
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb Bay mussels
- 1 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
- 4th Cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1.75 ounce 1 link chorizo sausage, sliced
- 1 big ripe tomato, diced
- 3/4 Cup dry white wine, I used Pinot Grigio
- 1/4 Cup water
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1/2 Cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- kosher salt and fresh pepper to taste
In a large, heavy saucepan, sauté the garlic and onion in olive oil over medium heat for about 3 to 5 minutes until tender.
Add the chorizo, tomatoes, wine, bay leaf, 1/4 cup parsley, salt and pepper and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the mussels, mix well and cover.
Cook for about 5 minutes or until all the clams have opened (discard any closed clams).
Add the prawns and scallops and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the seafood is fully cooked and the prawns are opaque.
Arrange in bowls and sprinkle with some fresh parsley.
Portion: 1/ 4 of the recipe, Calories: 376kcal, Carbohydrates: 9.7G, Protein: 50G, Fat: 11G, Sodium: 913.6mg, Fiber: 0.9G, Sugar: 0.1G
Blue Smart Points: 4th
Green smart points: 9
Purple Smart Points: 4th
Points +: 8th
Keywords: Seafood Recipes, Seafood Soup, Seafood Stew