Did you know May 2nd is National Truffles Day, although I never need an excuse to give my pups a treat? While traditional human truffles are often adorned with chocolate and completely unsafe for dogs, that doesn’t mean that truffle treats are off the table. Easy to prepare, packed with healthy ingredients, this safe dog truffle recipe will make your dog feel like the king he is while eating them on the fluffiest dog bed.
✔ ½ cup pumpkin puree (unsweetened); You can also use sweet potatoes
✔ ¼ cup of mashed banana
✔ 2 teaspoons coconut oil (melted)
✔ A pinch of cinnamon or another dog-friendly spice
✔ ¾ to 1 cup of coconut flour
✔ Dried unsweetened coconut to roll
- To make truffles for dogs, combine pumpkin, banana, and coconut oil in a bowl and mix until well mixed.
- Add cinnamon and coconut flour to your mixture. Start with ½ cup of coconut flour and mix until the mixture is combined and not too sticky. If needed, add more flour to roll the mixture.
- Take the dried coconut and put it in a blender or food processor until the pieces are very fine.
- Scoop a small spoon of batter and roll it into balls that are suitable for your dog.
- Roll up the dried coconut and place on parchment paper.
- Put in the fridge for 20 minutes until they are firm. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Sam is a dog lover, writer, baker, handyman, and instagrammer. When she’s not writing, she’s decorating cookies for her blog SugaredAndIced.com or Instagraming her dogs @FrenchHuggs_ and @Quinnstadoodle.